View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 AM
armybandvet

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Bravo, Iceblossom, for managing to explain so well without using numbers. It verges on the comical how much more difficult it is for us to help each other when we can't mention numbers, LOL!

I went to lie down for 'a few minutes' to rest my back and read the clue. Now it is hours later! I want to point out something that seems quite significant to me. The business about the trimmed dog ear being in a certain position applies only to the triangles that end up remaining unsewn. For the triangles that end up being sewn into HSTs, those dog ears are all removed as usual! So unless I am totally missing something, there is no reason to do the HSTs by the method shown. They can be done by any method. Only the triangles that remain unsewn need to be cut as shown.
​That's how I'm interpreting the dog ear instructions too, but I still cut everything with the Accuquilt so there are no dog ears on any of my pieces. I'm curious to see how this matters later. I'm not a super experienced quilter, but I can't come up with any scenario where this makes sense to me! But it must make sense somehow if it's emphasized in the instructions. I'm sure I'll get a learning experience out of it, and I may or may not be crying later over my decision to ignore the dog ear thing! Maybe my no dog ear having pieces will wind up as an extra pieced border or something fun on the back. 😁