View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 07:02 AM
Iceblossom

Hang in there folks! For those waiting I don't think you'll have to deal with some of the mystery elements those of us doing it along with the clues so you won't have to do the organizational work.

I'm still working on the current clue but it is going so much better than those geese units.

I've learned a lot working with these hand dyes, which I think also goes along with working with batiks and some issues with large scale prints as well. First is, unless it really doesn't matter, don't fold your fabric when you cut it! I spent so much time in the early stages looking at both sides of each piece trying to determine what was what. By this point, I figure out a right side, stack it if I have multiples and single cut it if I don't. If the piece varies in shades from one side to the other, I put the like sides together and cut sets. If I have to flip a piece over so it fits in better with the others, I do it at this stage. Finally, if there is a problem piece that would end up with one light side and one dark side, I put those on the top. For the fully scrappy combinations it doesn't matter, but for the matching set ones it is better if I slice it the other way, so I get two half-and-half triangles instead of two completely unrelated ones.

If this really was more scrappy and less done in sets, I wouldn't have had to worry so much about those color shifts. As it is, if there is one 2" spot of yellow in the red fabric, when I cut the fabric that yellow is entirely one triangle!

So once you've determined what side is up and cut, leave it on the board as I did in the clue with the geese where I could only do one set at a time without getting confused, or pin them together so you can remember which way is up and don't have to look at them all again! I put top side up as a constant, and the safety pin is a nice little handle for the blues. Getting out these basting pins just for organization as about tripled the speed and ease of actually working with these pieces.

I'm still using my oversized squares with a line drawn down the center to make my HST. For the reds I turned them over and drew my line on two of them down the back. I decided to not cut my non-sewn squares. Last time I stacked them in alternating colors but did not use them that way and it annoyed me to unstack them. Since I don't know yet (but I have a strong suspicion) what we are doing, I'm leaving them whole, and I just took my pencil and made a little tick mark in the dog ear part of the corner so I can easily tell which side is which.

Today at my Tuesday group I'll be putting together the red and blue units and prepare them for sewing. I'll be done with this clue by Friday. Maybe tomorrow even... but I can make it by end of day Thursday.