View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 AM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I have finished piecing clue six, and am starting to trim down the flying geese and am running into problems. I have never made flying geese before, and the first few I pressed open and checked for size were correct. Now that I am trimming them, the blocks are all just slightly oversized...probably from me trying too hard to press the blocks flat and distorting them with the iron.

My problem is that I am using that folded corner ruler Bonnie recommended to trim them down, because it is my only ruler with a 45 degree angle on the quarter inch line. When I lay the block flat under the middle of the ruler to check the overall size, the initial quarter inch seam above the point reads as oversized, and needs a sliver trimmed off. When I flip the ruler around to the edge where the 45 degree angle is, that first seam to square off is too short to even reach the edge of the ruler. (It's not on every ruler I checked...distance from the point to edge of fabric is about 3/16 of an inch). On the few that did not read as too short, once I made the first cut on the point side, I kept getting the same results with every other side. I figure this is part of making flying geese with all of the bias edges involved, but I do need to trim these down. Do I press them again and weigh them down while they cool so they're as flat as I can make them when I trim? Will a specialty ruler make this easier?

I trimmed down four sets before I realized what inconsistent results I'm getting and stopped. I don't want to accidentally trim them too short and have to start over...I don't have that much fabric left! Advice please? And thank you in advance!
Origami, I don't think you need a 45 degree angle for trimming geese. A small, square ruler with clear markings is good for trimming any type of small unit. Normally what I do when trimming is find the point on the ruler that represents half the measurement of the unit. I then place this mark on the halfway point of the unit (in this case you could use the point of the triangle as the center of the unit). I trim whatever is hanging over, then flip the unit and do the same for the other side. I then flip again and check the width.

The Wing Clipper ruler by Deb Tucker makes it so easy to trim flying geese! If you're up for buying something to trim the geese, I'd recommend the Wing Clipper!

SusieQ, sorry you are having trouble with the geese! My early geese were awful but the later ones were much better, after I moved my fabric a little way from my seam guide.

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-08-2020 at 07:11 AM.