View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Iceblossom

Almost done now, but this is how I put together my pinwheel units. I start with one pinwheel, and if I got that one wrong they are all going to be wrong so hopefully I got it right! So I lay that one out and then fold it down to prepare for sewing. Yes, I press open and I use a lot pins, it works for me. Again, most of the stuff I complain about I do to myself!

So then I set up a second one and check it and hope for the best. Then I stack a few blocks on top, and turn them over as I turn them into sets. I'm finding I'm happiest somewhere around 4-6 sets at a time, easy to keep track of. Before I leave the cutting station I clamp the groups together. You can't see it but my bucket-o-clamps is just to the left of the picture (and the blocks to be worked on are to the right).

Usually I buy pads of graph paper but this had holes so it got shoved into a notebook and is my quilting notebook for now. My notes I write on to myself for this are in there, along with other projects. It works pretty good for a chronological order too. But right now, it is very refreshing to me to see bright white, so many of these fabrics have been really hard on me with Olfa green.

You can see in that top pinwheel how I have two pieces that go more together and two that are better with themselves, yet they were all cut from the same piece and how some of my pre-re-dyed pinks were causing problems turning into yellow. I did switch around two pieces so the like ones were on the diagonals. The fussy me then wanted to move that yellow one up to the top corner but I mentally slapped myself and told me to let it be.

Edit: Note that I pin below my seam line, below my foot line even. It will hold things in place fine from down there. My old vintage machine went over pins with ease and panache, but it's best if you don't and I wouldn't drive over pins with an expensive machine.

Edit 2: I left my oversized squares for the next step whole because of my issues with the two sides. It's just going to be easier for me to move them around and attach them as squares instead of triangles.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5470.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 01-09-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: write/right -- not the same!