View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 08:47 PM
audsgirl

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Although there were some I could have matched one of the fabrics in the sets, many of my sets have been made with the last bit of fabric. I decided to make sure that nothing matched, rather to get down to the end and be unable and very noticeable.

So in my personal understanding and making of scrap quilts,, I go with as many as possible variations. Other people do other things. I rarely have more than 4 of any given piece of fabric in a quilt and I'm happiest with charms, where every piece is different. But here's the thing, as I curate my fabrics different pieces of fabric should be able to switch in for any other fabric or I just didn't choose well. With my fabrics maybe I wouldn't be watching them so closely if they didn't shift so much and if I just had more in true blue to start with, as it is I'm dealing more with a range of value than shades/tones of a particular color. After the first set, each time I deliberately put in one piece of fabric that was darker and one that was lighter than my desired range just because it was going to happen anyway and to push the project and myself a bit.

These are some of the scrap tops I've pieced (and mostly not quilted yet) this past year. The inner me is more like this first one, over 30 purples, controlled scraps. The collector one is next, toning down the wide range of fabrics with basic solids. The last one was one of the most recent, I tell it's story here:
2019 Fabric Moratorium
I'm with you, Iceblossom. I like to go with as many variations as I can. And at that, I still have a hard time being random. I always manage to get the same fabric next to itself.
Your scrap quilts or tops are really terrific. Most of my tops haven't made to the finish line. I guess I'm more of a topper than a quilter.

Leslie