Thread: tamales
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Iceblossom

First batches of vegan tamales made and feedback received from hubby's plant based/special dietary friends (including Halal) at work. I got the cook much better, a large part of that was because I got a better fitting/height steamer basket. I've gotten better with a consistent amount of filling and the rolling in husks as well, this batch looked good. Haven't gotten them to the son and DDiL yet, but that will give me feedback on them being frozen.

I made the broth using Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base. I was worried it would give an icky color to the masa but it was fine, came out golden and not grey or green. Since it's the oil the hubby prefers and what was on hand, I used Avocado oil. I mix the oil into the masa first before adding the broth. Texture both in making it and cooking was good.

I filled half with a spicy mushroom mixture: chopped fresh mushrooms, chunky cut onion, red pepper flakes -- I wanted the vegies chunky texture but in a bit smoother sauce so I added some Mushroom Sauce (vegan alternative to Oyster Sauce) and a bit more heat so some chili paste. After the mixture had cooled I added in some fresh chopped cilantro. They went over very well, they had enough heat to hold up to the masa but not too much and would be welcomed at a company potluck. Again, the taste testers come from a variety of backgrounds.

The other half I did a different style and it wasn't as well received. I stirred in a drained can of Niblets into the masa and mixed them through instead of filling them. Basically it was just little cornbread nuggets. I liked them just fine but then I'm not allowed carbs and think they are all pretty delicious!