View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 03:24 AM
Iceblossom

Well, I thought and thought and hemmed and hawed all day yesterday and didn't actually sew a stitch. I don't really want to but I think for me the thing to do is to make those setting triangles into full blocks and then cut my blocks for the half blocks, using the remainders as an accent strip on the back (which will be pretty cool actually). When I get my full set of blocks happy, I'll start cutting the setting triangles oversized at 1" over the diagonal point. That will let me slice off whatever it is I wish to slice off and give me plenty for the setting.

It is not ideal with the way the seaming and block is constructed, that diagonal seam does concern me. It would be easier if I used scraps to make some additional units to make two setting triangles instead of one and a bunch of "waste", but with my hand-dyes and the way we did that wouldn't be as easy as it sounds although it is possible. I will look and see if I can make the additional aqua/blue combinations (plus the red/blue 4-patches) that would allow me to get two blocks out of a half set. For some reason, not using entire block sets doesn't bother me as much as an unused half.

Yes, I could make something out of what is left from what I've already worked on but I basically just don't want to. If my scraps were more just on the dark/light side of things, I'd find them more usable for other projects, but as they are, my mind is not expanding to use them in any other project.

I've gone through my existing blocks and have selected out the one with the bad pinwheel, the bad green/yellow connections and other funky monkey type errors. I haven't cut them yet and won't until the very end, but I've marked them with a safety pin at the offending point. So I don't have to make all remainders into blocks if I can add in just a couple of triangles here and there, but for now it's back to the sewing machine with me.

It isn't that much extra work, I come out without extra pieces, and I'll be happier. All around, it's a win/win.