View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 AM
Iceblossom

Hello and well met! Sounds like you are having fun and being busy and about to get even busier!

I started quilting as a teenager because it was something I wanted to do, 40 years later and through my own son and such and I'm still quilting -- and my house keeping can still wait until tomorrow, because I'm quilting today. I'm largely self taught and have often just jumped into stuff, sometimes with success and sometimes with more knowledge than results.

Hats off to you with the indigo dying, all sorts of things you can do inspired from all over the world!

I did a bunch of dyeing a few years ago, I like natural dyes the best but I like what happens with wool and silk better than what happens with cottons, and I work in cotton. Last year I bought a huge bag of someone's home dye binge for super cheap but it turns out the dyer had never properly fixed the dyes. I think the fabrics are a mix of rayons and cotton, I think basic Rit dye was used, I think inks were used, and pretty sure stuff that wasn't around so much 20-30 years ago when I was doing it was used. In the good news/bad news sort of thing, my car was in the shop for a couple of weeks and I was housebound and so I started boiling those fabrics and stabilizing them. Fixing dye isn't bad if you know what was used, it's a lot less fun when you are basically just heat setting a stain and discharging the excess dye. But now I have a beautiful bag of fabric to use!