View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 05:29 AM
Iceblossom

I am officially done "fixing' that bag of hand dyed fabrics and have posted a pix in the Bonnie Hunter thread:
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Oh my goodness, I added an entire box to my stash with one $7.99 purchase and a good 40 hours of work and about $40 worth of supplies that is what I have left -- after the Bonnie Hunter quilt.

So the original project, a large (2" finished log) masculine camo colored log cabin is still there in what is left. As is the new idea for the embellished lone star. I think that will be everything I want out of that bag...

So true confession times here: (1) I do really enjoy dyeing but I'm more about natural materials and going into the woods with a basket and coming out with twigs and berries and stuff. Unfortunately, the sorts of results I want are going to be more likely with wool or silk and I work in cotton which typically results in more subtle results than the types of things I'm doing right now or this big bag of artificial dyes. Plus, I prefer to do more patterned things than the blotchy subtlety of this batch of hand dyes. But I'd be very happy in the backyard with a boiling cauldron, stirring it with an old broom handle and reciting lines from Macbeth.

Confession (2): I have a working title for the new project. I was showing it to the hubby and explaining how I want to use the greens and purples and the bright accent pop for a luminescent effect. Then he replies to me in his best Beavis & Butthead voice "heh, it looks like pot leaves" and then in his normal voice "but you'd need to change these points". He's talking about the outer points, I'd be reversing the colors to green foreground and the orange/color pop to background on black or dark purple anyway but he wants to add a green to the end of the diamonds. I sighed and said and you want me to emphasize that don't you?? He's right (I hadn't "seen" what changing the colors would do)... so going to do it his way but it will be something we will keep or at least give consciously. Might reconsider it to the designed size and be wall art instead of going bed sized. Working title: My husband is not a subtle man.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-01-2020 at 05:34 AM.