View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PAMAR View Post
I, too, have been a big spray basting fan.

I make a lot of baby quilts (big, big family!) and always wash the quilts before gifting to remove all the spray and just normal dust and dirt. However, I recently learned on this board that 505 Spray (which I use) has to be removed by dry cleaning. So, I looked for other options.

I have settled on trying Elmer's washable glue diluted with water and using a misting bottle. I wanted to dilute it so that I wouldn't gum up my needle. There is a You Tube video available showing how to do this.

My mister is due to arrive today (I ordered a Misto) and will let you know how it works.
i have done more than 20 quilts with elmers washable school glue straight from the bottle drizzled on. I consider it a replacement for pin basting in that it doesn’t have to be all over lIke spray basting. If it is dry it doesn’t gum up or break a needle. If I drop a glob I spread it out with my finger - washes off. I’ve gone as big as queen size. My concern with diluting and spraying or misting is all that water on the quilt. Let us know how it goes. I’m always open to new ways.