View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Iceblossom

Well, last night the hubby deserved a /bonk on the head. I was excitedly telling him about all the progress and that I was nearing the finishing line when he interrupted with "just how long is this going to take you anyway?". He's used to projects being turned around in under a month.

But I'm at that fun point where it all starts coming together rapidly. I've placed my blocks, I found that there is no ideal but that is part of the deal of scrappy. I did somewhat organize it with my brighter rings around the star in the center and the darker blocks around the edges.

I put the sashing on randomly on two sides of each block. Because I've been having problems visualizing these twists and turns I waited to put it on the setting triangles to make sure that wouldn't cause me any problems (it didn't). So I still have to put those on and then can place them. Since I have duplicates I'll divide it into two stacks (all four corners are identical). Because I have no floor or other space larger than my bed, I'll work on the diagonal corners. But again, nice for me to know that it really doesn't matter even if the two identical units land next to each other, it's so busy that isn't going to be something you notice.

Likewise, my border units are getting almost done. I caught myself before sewing too many units together, had to save out one set of 2, so there are 4 units of 6 this time and all the others are 8s. Short form, very few seams left and the math works out!

My inner border and outer border will look as designed, but I'm planning on using a miter down the corner. I'm going with whatever the "as-built" conditions are and using the coping strip inner border for fitting, no measuring. Well there will be a little math when I lay out the border to the bed of the quilt to figure out how big to cut the coping strip. I will be using one of the paler new Parakeet shades instead of yellow.

I realized today as I was laying out the top that I very rarely make square tops. I had enough extra blocks (or maybe still needed one more) to make it rectangular, but I quickly said "oh no way" to the idea of making more of the border/setting units. I'm not completely crazed, it just seems that way some times.