View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 03:52 PM
origamigoldfish

Such beautiful progress photos, everyone! I am only halfway through my main blocks, but they're getting easier and faster to put together. I am also out of the fabric combinations I just didn't love and into the ones I like much better, so piecing the blocks together is a joy instead of a chore. So is giving myself the freedom from making all of my points line up perfectly. I'm still a beginner and flying geese were a new unit for me. I will rip and redo a seam once...but it stays the way it is after that point.

It seems like with every project right close to the end I figure out something that would have made the whole process easier if I had known it from the beginning. This time it is how to get my consistent scant quarter seam without a quarter-inch foot or a bulky fabric guide. Now that I have it, I can sew faster and my machine doesn't catch and distort seams or chew on nearly as many triangle points as it did.

As for quilting? I am tempted to send it to a longarmer so I don't have to look at it anymore, but I really enjoy actually quilting. I am considering echoing the nine-patch grid of these blocks with my walking foot and diagonal straight lines, but I think something curvy would work too. Baptist Fans or freeform spirals....or pebbling! The latter two would mean FMQ though, and I have never FMQ anything bigger than a pot holder