View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 AM
Macybaby

I didn't find my Bailey that hard to push, but keep in mind that you buy the machine and frame separately. I bought a Gracie frame and paid more for an updated carriage. I also updated the rails from the plastic to aluminum and that helped too. I would say it was not as easy to move as my HQ - and that is a much heavier machine, but the rail system is also much more robust than what was on the Gracie frame I chose to buy.

The main thing I didn't like about the Bailey was it is not a tall machine, so there is no room for a deadbar. This means that for each advance of the quilt, you need to adjust the back rail that holds the quilt so it stays the correct height above the machine. And after the quilt was half done, that rail starts to get a bit heavy and takes more effort to get adjusted correctly. I also had to be careful to make sure the quilt was rolled very tightly and evenly on that back rail. This meant sometimes re-rolling the quilt and using my hands to smooth it and keep it as tight as possible on the back rail - that also took some contorting and arm/hand strength.

So other than when the machines needed to be physically moved off the frame, I've found my 24" HQ and frame to be much less physically demanding than my 15" Bailey on a Gracie frame in regular use. When cost is a major factor, the Bailey can easily "win", but if cost is not the main factor, I don't think I'd ever recommend the Bailey over a machine with a taller throat.