Thread: "Scant Quarter"
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 06:24 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I have read and reread all of your comments and suddenly it all made sense and became clear. I have never been taught by anyone to Cut scant quarters and have always been taught to Sew scant quarters just like all of you said. I have completed 3 quilts since July and there are a few places on each where they did not match correctly no matter how carefully I cut and sewed. I have racked my brain trying to figure out why and somehow twisted being taught to Sew scant quarters with Cutting scant quarters, even though I never cut scant quarters. I have a head like a brick and no matter how wrong I am, it takes a sledge hammer to break through it to finally get it. I am so sorry I insisted that I had been taught that and will fix that. I am sorry I did not really appreciate your comments at first and the help they really are and insisted something that was not even true. I am proud of the three quilts I have made but focus on the mistakes as I finish them and wonder if quilting is for me even though I love it. I have to work on fixing that in my head also. Thank you again for all your help. I really, really appreciate it.
I've found that to get everything to match up, washable Elmer's glue, is hard to beat. I put a drop on every intersection match the seams and put a binder clip on it. I sew it up and everything comes out perfect. No matter how accurately you cut and sew, the fabric can stretch and move, especially if it's on the bias. Elmer's glue and starch are your friends.