View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 05:46 AM
Cattitude

My experience has been mixed. I have received free spools with orders and found it ok for piecing but thicker than Aurifil. Aurifil is 2 strand (ply?) and I believe MSQC is 3 although both 50 weight. Because of the price I ordered a large cone of grey for piecing. The first one, no complaints but the second one I was having problems with skipped stitches ( last thing I tried when trouble shooting of course but as soon as thread was changed the problem was gone). I have been finishing it off by using it as bobbin thread only. Breakage about the same as Aurifil but much worse than other 50 wt cotton I have tried such as Mettler and Guterman. One of the free spools had multiple breaks......not from going through the machine, but rather separated on the bobbin.

bottom line is I now use Aurifil for all piecing and even FMQ if I can get a colour that works. My biggest complaint about Aurifil is a lot of shops don’t stock it, and those that do don’t have a great selection. I haven’t had much luck picking colours on line.

i am fairly new to quilting and have not tried a lot of the thread mfgs that others here use.