View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 AM
Iceblossom

Love that Cat Fabric, WMUTeach! Nice finish.

I got my "candy kiss" units made yesterday. I do the "cut large and trim down" methods whenever I can. For this project the center square was the fussy cut 4" square and had to be precise, I cut all the triangles a bit bigger than needed. When it came time to trim, two problems popped up quickly -- one is this is just the sort of thing I have problems seeing!

And then I knew (because I designed it) that it was supposed to finish at 5.5 x 10.5 (I really like having rulers that work) but the Omnigrip square I was using doesn't have lines that cross from the corners, it has one line that is corner to corner on the full size, and another that is on the diagonal for the 10" size. Anyway, tape to the rescue once again -- it would have been really frustrating yesterday to try and "see" these to trim them.

Another comment about my construction methods, pressing open is pretty straight-forward but the usual "rule" is to sew things with the smaller piece on top, with open seams you go with which ever side has more seams so you can catch those leading edges. My next step, is ready to go, with the grey bars pinned on and ready to be sewn.

So shot one shows the taped ruler, and shot two is a trimmed one on top and the untrimmed on the bottom. I had about a quarter inch all 4 sides to take off.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5632.jpg   100_5633.jpg