View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Iceblossom

No pictures today, just the comment that the extra row is using up any extra fabric I had nicely and really was my best option for getting this to a finished size. After some thought and consideration of the fabric I had left, I did cut a consistent piece of Minion background for the centers of the Candy Kiss Unit, each row across the quilt will have 1 each of the 5 different centers.

I had about 8" WoF of the Minion fabric left and needed (6) 4" square repeats and a couple of triangles -- I had gotten most of the triangles left from the "Swiss Cheese" left from the previous fussy cuts. Unfortunately, the fabric was designed with only 5 repeats per strip (and only 3 good Minion motifs at that, which is why I previously got out the Submarine piece)! I had a scrap left that gave me "close enough to the same" for the 6th square and chopped the remaining piece to bits.

I have a piece roughly 6.5 x 10.5" left from the grey fabric for my strip box, that yardage was small to begin with and I knew I didn't have many options left with it, otherwise used entirely up. I'll have less than half an 8.5" wof of the yellow and a 2-3" trim for my crumb quilter. About to go cut the black triangles, figure as I try to avoid the yellow flowers I'll just have some yellow crumb trimmings left from that... Anyway, basically zero fabric left over, all from stash and that's really the point.

I have the fabrics washed for the Horse with No Name/Simplish project. I've been looking at selvedges more lately because I've started trimming them off to send to people. It was interesting to me, the desert background fabric has huge (like 1" wide) thick woven selvedges (just the sort you do especially want to cut off), but the printing goes edge to edge with no maker information. The horse fabrics have the usual variations from the inch-wide white with advertising to my personal favorites -- the ones that feel nice and are printed to the edges.

I've typically kept my selvedges on and sometimes will write a note with a sharpie like the date or price or something pertinent like rough size (you cut off from the end you put the size on...). Now I'm cutting off the one long printed info edge to send away and still keeping the other side intact as I slice my rows off.