Thread: First Stab
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Nina

Actually, I printed out a Battle Flag in the full size that I wanted to use and cut paper templates to match each angle. I have since found that I could have just sewn the smaller triangles to the large portion of the squares and then cut off the excess (which would have been much easier than cutting each little piece and pinning and holding the two diagonals and sewing the angle). A learning experience for sure. The stipes are appliqued - I checked the degree of the angle on an actual flag and matched it. Placed stars in same angles as on the flag, too (also appliqued). Sorry I can't give more details - was more a "cross your fingers and hope it works" project than anything. And was complicated by trying to keep what I doing hidden to maintain the surprise. Hubby hasn't even found out that I have tried quilting yet.

I'm sure there is an easier way to do it. If I did another, I would probably applique some of the smallest pieces vs piecing.

We have looked into the possibly joining the SCV re-enactors, but will probably join the group that re-enacts the Battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto first, because of proximity. It's great how they show and teach history to children. My husband and I worked with Boy Scouts for 20 years - loved it.