Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Stab >

First Stab

First Stab

Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 AM

No way is this your first quilt!!!! I love patriotic themed quilts. I know I have that same backing material in my stash and have used it in several quilts.
Attached Thumbnails 100_2861a.jpg   mhq-retreat.jpg   dscf0484.jpg   dscf0487.jpg   dscf0488.jpg  

dscf0493.jpg   dscf0519.jpg   367324059909.jpeg   tradewindsquilt.jpg   purse1a.jpg  

tn.jpeg   photo-4.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 AM

I am jealous!!!!! Mine are never that pretty! Great Job!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the star site. Will be very useful. You guys gave me the encouragement to go ahead and start the second one. Would love to see more of what ya'll have made. Am logging off because severe weather is headed our way - including tornados on the ground in Dripping Springs.

Secure the fabric!!! :wink:

Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM

At least, you have your priorities right. Keep looking up. I've been praying for all of these tornadoes to lessen and not hurt anyone.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM

That is beautiful!!! Tell me more about it, please? Nine patch under the stars and stripes or what? I live in the south and have a lot of the kids that I taught in school and in Boy Scouts that are re-enactors. They would love this. You did a fabulous job!

Norah, I have a dear friend living in OK, too. Nell and Jim have no storm cellar and no room set up to escape the tornadoes. I pray daily for everyone living in the danger area. It's bad enough to have the hurricane threats and damage, but we know there IS an end. There's no end to a tornado, they just build up again and come when they want.

God protect everyone in their path!
Sharon
Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 PM

Actually, I printed out a Battle Flag in the full size that I wanted to use and cut paper templates to match each angle. I have since found that I could have just sewn the smaller triangles to the large portion of the squares and then cut off the excess (which would have been much easier than cutting each little piece and pinning and holding the two diagonals and sewing the angle). A learning experience for sure. The stipes are appliqued - I checked the degree of the angle on an actual flag and matched it. Placed stars in same angles as on the flag, too (also appliqued). Sorry I can't give more details - was more a "cross your fingers and hope it works" project than anything. And was complicated by trying to keep what I doing hidden to maintain the surprise. Hubby hasn't even found out that I have tried quilting yet.

I'm sure there is an easier way to do it. If I did another, I would probably applique some of the smallest pieces vs piecing.

We have looked into the possibly joining the SCV re-enactors, but will probably join the group that re-enacts the Battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto first, because of proximity. It's great how they show and teach history to children. My husband and I worked with Boy Scouts for 20 years - loved it.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Oh, it is BEAUTIFUL! Your first quilt? awesome...
My first quilt (I still have it, too) was a Lone Star. After that one, I thought I would never want to quilt again in life... but something hooked me. Your husband had to truly love this quilt with all of your effort (and love).
Attached Thumbnails 463506020007_507924801007_7973465007_0141.jpg  
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks. We'll find out on the 10th. He saw me trying to cut out a quilt this weekend. I told him (lying, of course) that I had just decided to try to quilt and that I didn't know if I could do it or not. He gave me encouragement and tried to hide his 'oh no, not another' look - well justified after all that I have put him through with crocheting, crosstitch, ceramics, sewing, quilling, gardening, etc. He asked me later how it went and, again I lied, and said I couldn't seem to get the hang of it.

My father-in-law was a sweetie and didn't say a word. He played watchdog while I was making the Battle Flag so Ed wouldn't find out.

The Lone Star really looks complicated, but oh so beautiful. Someday I would like to make it all in blues.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:55 AM

Wow!! what a great job!! I have only ventured into smaller quilts but you got right into a large one first things wonderful job!!!! Keep going your doing great!!!