Thread: Removing Polish
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
... After the parts are totally freed and flushed you add your favorite SM lube. I'm betting you weren't thorough in your clean up, or neglected to lube after use.
I'm glad you know how to flush and clean up after using WD-40. However, most will see WD-40 and think that it is a lubricant - which, as you and I know, it is not. If it is used within the machine the chances of not getting some the solvent out/off, it could then negate the SMO that is then used to lubricate (if one does).

WD-40 has many uses and is not harmful to sewing machine finishes. In fact, back in the day before specialty products, show cars were given a quick wipe with WD-40 for bringing up the shine. ...
Granted it has many uses, however, I will not use it on a sewing machine. Cars are not japanned and have decals and a shellac coat.

... but it was a user problem....
Not a user problem as I have not, nor will I use WD-40 on a sewing machine. I have used WD-40 on other things and will use it on other things but not a sewing machine, particularly an antique sewing machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-20-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clarification