Removing Polish

Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 PM

Default Removing Polish

I disassembled an old Davis with all metal parts. I soaked and sonic cleaned all the internal parts, then followed with steel wool and polish. I'm curious about the best way to clean after the steel wool and polish. Should I just run them through the sonic cleaner again? I hate to put them in water after they've been steel wooled, as I don't want any rusting.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 PM

Why do you want to remove the polish on the shiny metal pieces?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:30 AM

What compound did you polish with?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:00 AM

I used mothers mag and aluminum polish after the steel wool. There are some parts that have residue that will extend into the internal portions of the machine and I want to ensure all the residue is off and won't interfere with the oil.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 AM

A solvent rag with mineral spirits or your favorite aerosol solvent and a rag is all that's necessary, plus you have some protection until it's installed and oiled. WD-40 is my favorite aerosol for this use, but any of the spray lubes will also do the trick. Remember- WD-40 is a solvent, not a long term lube.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 AM

Got it, thanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:31 PM

I, personally, would not get WD-40 any where near any of my sewing machines. It needs to be cleaned off if used.

I would probably polish with a Dremel polishing bit, or just a t-shirt. Since you have the bits off the machine, alcohol could be used. I like alcohol swabs for getting old oil off metal. You don't want to get alcohol on the black or decals.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:43 AM

I don't know where the WD-40 haters get their info or experiences, but if you perceive it to be the problem, you are using it improperly, or expecting it to do things it's not intended to do, like long term lube. It is totally harmless to sewing machines and components. It is a solvent and hygroscopic.

It has the ability to soften varnishes leftover from dried lubricants. With some heat the capillary action will pull it into components that are siezed due to dried lubes, and frees them up much quicker than any other aerosol. After the parts are totally freed and flushed you add your favorite SM lube. I'm betting you weren't thorough in your clean up, or neglected to lube after use.

WD-40 has many uses and is not harmful to sewing machine finishes. In fact, back in the day before specialty products, show cars were given a quick wipe with WD-40 for bringing up the shine. It's also used as a great bug and road tar remover. Has been for years with no harmful side effects.

It's also an excellent water displacer, and is used in many industries to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

I have no stock in the WD-40 corporation. The only money I've made off it is the benefits it provide in the workplace. I've been using it pretty much from the time of it's inception.

OurWorkbench- Your experiences may not have been good, but it was a user problem. So... since your are regarded as the "mechanic" around here you have a lot of influence on others views. Don't ruin their experience just because you don't know what you're doing.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
I don't know where the WD-40 haters get their info or experiences, but if you perceive it to be the problem, you are using it improperly, or expecting it to do things it's not intended to do, like long term lube. It is totally harmless to sewing machines and components. It is a solvent and hygroscopic.

It has the ability to soften varnishes leftover from dried lubricants. With some heat the capillary action will pull it into components that are siezed due to dried lubes, and frees them up much quicker than any other aerosol. After the parts are totally freed and flushed you add your favorite SM lube. I'm betting you weren't thorough in your clean up, or neglected to lube after use.

WD-40 has many uses and is not harmful to sewing machine finishes. In fact, back in the day before specialty products, show cars were given a quick wipe with WD-40 for bringing up the shine. It's also used as a great bug and road tar remover. Has been for years with no harmful side effects.

It's also an excellent water displacer, and is used in many industries to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

I have no stock in the WD-40 corporation. The only money I've made off it is the benefits it provide in the workplace. I've been using it pretty much from the time of it's inception.

OurWorkbench- Your experiences may not have been good, but it was a user problem. So... since your are regarded as the "mechanic" around here you have a lot of influence on others views. Don't ruin their experience just because you don't know what you're doing.
My wife hates the smell of the stuff lol but loves what it can do around the home...long term fan and user of WD40 [img]images/smilies/thumbup.png[/img]
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM

... After the parts are totally freed and flushed you add your favorite SM lube. I'm betting you weren't thorough in your clean up, or neglected to lube after use.
I'm glad you know how to flush and clean up after using WD-40. However, most will see WD-40 and think that it is a lubricant - which, as you and I know, it is not. If it is used within the machine the chances of not getting some the solvent out/off, it could then negate the SMO that is then used to lubricate (if one does).

WD-40 has many uses and is not harmful to sewing machine finishes. In fact, back in the day before specialty products, show cars were given a quick wipe with WD-40 for bringing up the shine. ...
Granted it has many uses, however, I will not use it on a sewing machine. Cars are not japanned and have decals and a shellac coat.

... but it was a user problem....
Not a user problem as I have not, nor will I use WD-40 on a sewing machine. I have used WD-40 on other things and will use it on other things but not a sewing machine, particularly an antique sewing machine.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-20-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clarification