View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 AM
Iceblossom

Thanks for the kind thoughts and comments all! I'm not counting up my stash usage in masks, but the size I'm making uses up a half yard pretty well to make 4-5 masks, not including the binding. So the face part of that larger cheetah print was a half yard used up, same with the fake Indonesian batik to the side. I get two out of fat quarter. Feels good to (finally) use up my long left overs of bindings, some of them have been around awhile. Anyway, not counting yardage or masks made but it's a few of each.

They are my preferred machines, Rob -- but I still have plenty more to go.

My neighbor is enjoying sewing the masks with the 301. He's been a construction type guy most of the time and really liked the line I got from Leonf (I think) about sewing machines being power tools with needles. I read Adam Savage's book Every Tool's a Hammer (which the hubby read recently too, not on my recommendation but by finding it himself). He describes what he does as being a "maker" and has a section in there about one of the few times he ever really lost his cool was when one of the shop assistants used his fabric scissors for cutting a wire stemmed floral piece. When/if Matt gets done I'll see about the teenage girls next door and if they would like to use it -- but Matt is semi-afraid he might have a new hobby and a future in fibers so I don't know if that will be any time soon, we chatted over the fence yesterday because he wants to keep sewing a bit more.

So I have the cheapo Brother set up and chugging away on the masks and a bit of quilting here and there. I still have the vintage Pfaff which is the stand to a rarely watched tv in my bedroom, all I have to do is take the tv and put it somewhere. And if that goes, hubby brought his grandma's machine when he moved here. I think it's a White? Free? Rough textured, no nice decals, it was in working condition when he got here 15 years ago but could probably use some attention from me. It was a machine that received heavy use and is in the memory of all the kids/grandkids as a part of the household. It currently acts as a lamp stand under a picture my grandmother painted.

I've gotten the Bunny Star blocks done and next step is to see if I have enough fabric to do the setting I want to do... I think I do but it's going to be close so while I still have options I'm going to measure first or maybe 2-3 times even! Also putting together the back of the Cherry Goose top. When the Bernina is working, I really like the serpentine stitch in large block/grids, most likely will just run that through with that, give sort of a rickrack look which will work with the cherries. I'm actually sort of looking forward to running a couple of these projects through Bernie, the Wonky Bright project from last year will probably come back up with a large meander to hold it together.

My Tuesday lady who got the stash fabric also brought back the Confetti top (unquilted). That one I always intended that it be done with the serpentine stitch. She's used to preemie/small projects and it was just too big for her comfort level, is basically a twin sized.