View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Rose_P

I got mine in 2013 and like it a lot, but when it was 3 months old the main circuit board failed. It was under warranty, but even though I lived in one of the biggest cities in the country at the time, Houston, TX, the drive from my house to the nearest shop certified to do warranty work was over an hour away on the far side of the city from where I lived. AND, that was very lucky for me. Shops are few and far between. At a greater distance, I would have had to ship it, probably at my own expense, with all the anxiety inherent in shipping a breakable item. Do not assume that a shop that sells you a machine is authorized to do the work. Always ask where you'd have to take it to get it fixed under warranty. The other thing to know about my experience is that it took another 3 months for the very nice and capable shop to get the replacement part needed to fix the machine. Things may have improved since then, or - since the parts are probably from China - they may have gotten much worse because of several factors, both political and situational because of the virus. However, that's not a strike against Singer only. Parts for a whole lot of other things - even American made cars - are also made in China. Since that one incident, I have been very happy with the 9960. It's not my main machine, but I use it quite a bit.