Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Quantum 9960?? >

Singer Quantum 9960??

Singer Quantum 9960??

Old 05-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Default Singer Quantum 9960??

Does anyone have this machine and how do you like it? I am thinking about getting one but would like some feedback first. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:14 PM

I had an old incarnation of this model and it was a workhorse....died after 20 years of heavy use (garment making not quilting).

i need a second machine (other machine is. Janome 8900 QCP) and I am very seriously looking at purchasing this model. It is rated very highly on several industry machine comparisons I found online and seems to have excellent features for the price range. I will be interested if any owners on the board will provide their input. Of course there will be questions about your usage, budget and feature wishlist.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:26 AM

I have one and love it. It has features. Like needle down,thread cutter. Love the speed adjuster and push button start and stop. I use my machine a lot making quilts and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:38 AM

I got mine in 2013 and like it a lot, but when it was 3 months old the main circuit board failed. It was under warranty, but even though I lived in one of the biggest cities in the country at the time, Houston, TX, the drive from my house to the nearest shop certified to do warranty work was over an hour away on the far side of the city from where I lived. AND, that was very lucky for me. Shops are few and far between. At a greater distance, I would have had to ship it, probably at my own expense, with all the anxiety inherent in shipping a breakable item. Do not assume that a shop that sells you a machine is authorized to do the work. Always ask where you'd have to take it to get it fixed under warranty. The other thing to know about my experience is that it took another 3 months for the very nice and capable shop to get the replacement part needed to fix the machine. Things may have improved since then, or - since the parts are probably from China - they may have gotten much worse because of several factors, both political and situational because of the virus. However, that's not a strike against Singer only. Parts for a whole lot of other things - even American made cars - are also made in China. Since that one incident, I have been very happy with the 9960. It's not my main machine, but I use it quite a bit.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I had an older version of the Quantum. No problems at all and it sews so quiet. I gave it to my niece who wanted to do some sewing and mending while she is at home now. Honestly it made a better straight stitch then my Bernina. And has the easiest fastest auto needle threader I've ever used.

I remember I bought it from HSN on one of the sewing segments with Darlene. I had a question about this machine a year later and got instant help from her by email.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-04-2020 at 10:34 AM.