View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 02:53 PM
petthefabric

Originally Posted by pbraun View Post
This is an interesting thread I found just today. Since I am relatively new to quilting I do not have a big stash. From reading what others have posted I was afraid of letting such a monster take over my life. I have a few kits for small projects, a baby quilt with fabric I do not know how to sew and a second set of fabrics for a duplicate mystery quilt. Otherwise I only have left over fabric from my learning projects. Then along came the virus and I sewed several hundred masks using most of the left over fabric and fabric that was supposed to be used for special gifts and Christmas gifts for my family. I even used Halloween fabric that once draped an exhibit in my classroom. I did order some fabric online for microwave bowl cozies and was so disappointed in the feel of the fabric I do not think I will order online again. The purchase resulted in a yard of stiff red fabric in my "stash".
Welcome to QB and to this Thread. Sad that your first experience was dissapointing. A few new fabrics are less stiff after washing in hot water to remove the chemicals on them. Some onlilne stores are better than others. There's several threads about shopping online. I prefer to touch my purchases (hence my Board name-petthefabric). More variety is available onlilne and for some, stores are miles away. One reason I bought online was for a red/white 2 1/2 inch WOF exchange. I wanted fabric no one else would have found. Success-I found a sale fabric that was very unique and got compliments after the exchange.
The lqs just reopened. Inventory is low. Now (vs younger years), usually looking/petting satisfy my fabric fix. I have so much stash that matches are available.