View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 07:56 AM
Iceblossom

That part about "oneself" or "for me" is important. Different people get different/equal results using those different techniques.

As I've been dealing with my vision issues I'm also adding "for now" to my choices. I have changed from being very fussy and precise with both my cutting and piecing to being rather free and careless with cut/sew large and trim down for accuracy. Periodically I try different methods or review my earlier choices.

You could have heard the volume of my sniff of disdain for the "fabric wasteful" methods of making a triangle by sewing the diagonal down two squares 20-30 years ago. But I did my tests and it turned out when they are small there is very little waste anyway, usually not that really impacts how many cuts you get per width of fabric (usually only a difference of one per row). If the squares are big enough to worry about, just make a bonus unit.

Another thing I've changed on is non-slipping rulers, or again with my sniff I would call "only usable on one side" rulers. Hated them at first, love them now.

I have my anti-quilt police pressing wide open, but then I use "competition standard continuous bias binding with mitered corners and an invisible final seam"., we can mix and match our choices!