Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choices and/or options >

Choices and/or options

Choices and/or options

Old 06-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Default Choices and/or options

I am so glad that I am no longer a "newbie" to the world of quilting/sewing.

There are so many options available.

I think everyone wants to "get it right" on the first try - and when a question is asked, one usually gets differing answers.

So what is the "right" way? "right" choice?

Turns out that - usually - there is more than one option.

It also took me (and still takes) a while to know/learn what I don't know. And what questions to ask.

So - ask away. Eventually one comes to "what works for oneself" -

I have taken quite a few detours - some things worked well. Some things were definitely "learning experiences" - and were in the category of "won't do that again."
Old 06-18-2020, 07:56 AM

That part about "oneself" or "for me" is important. Different people get different/equal results using those different techniques.

As I've been dealing with my vision issues I'm also adding "for now" to my choices. I have changed from being very fussy and precise with both my cutting and piecing to being rather free and careless with cut/sew large and trim down for accuracy. Periodically I try different methods or review my earlier choices.

You could have heard the volume of my sniff of disdain for the "fabric wasteful" methods of making a triangle by sewing the diagonal down two squares 20-30 years ago. But I did my tests and it turned out when they are small there is very little waste anyway, usually not that really impacts how many cuts you get per width of fabric (usually only a difference of one per row). If the squares are big enough to worry about, just make a bonus unit.

Another thing I've changed on is non-slipping rulers, or again with my sniff I would call "only usable on one side" rulers. Hated them at first, love them now.

I have my anti-quilt police pressing wide open, but then I use "competition standard continuous bias binding with mitered corners and an invisible final seam"., we can mix and match our choices!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
That part about "oneself" or "for me" is important. Different people get different/equal results using those different techniques.

As I've been dealing with my vision issues I'm also adding "for now" to my choices. I have changed from being very fussy and precise with both my cutting and piecing to being rather free and careless with cut/sew large and trim down for accuracy. Periodically I try different methods or review my earlier choices.

You could have heard the volume of my sniff of disdain for the "fabric wasteful" methods of making a triangle by sewing the diagonal down two squares 20-30 years ago. But I did my tests and it turned out when they are small there is very little waste anyway, usually not that really impacts how many cuts you get per width of fabric (usually only a difference of one per row). If the squares are big enough to worry about, just make a bonus unit.

Another thing I've changed on is non-slipping rulers, or again with my sniff I would call "only usable on one side" rulers. Hated them at first, love them now.

I have my anti-quilt police pressing wide open, but then I use "competition standard continuous bias binding with mitered corners and an invisible final seam"., we can mix and match our choices!
agree with both of you. I Keep trying things- techniques, tools, etc. I don’t want to miss out on something to make my quilting better and/or more
enjoyable because of “I was taught to always...” and get stuck in that rut. If the tried and true always works no need to try something else. But I’m always open.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 06-18-2020, 09:53 AM

Teen years, middle school sewing class. Oh boy, do NOT match plaids with stripes, prints with prints. But when I started quilting, it was hard to not use stripes with prints, etc. I learned to have options and choices. I do use prints, stripes and plaids. Maybe not next to each other, but there they are.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Favorite says are , your quilt your way and there is never just one way to do something.

Some ways are easier- faster or better. But they will all turn out.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sylviasmom View Post
Teen years, middle school sewing class. Oh boy, do NOT match plaids with stripes, prints with prints. But when I started quilting, it was hard to not use stripes with prints, etc. I learned to have options and choices. I do use prints, stripes and plaids. Maybe not next to each other, but there they are.
This same thing happened to me. I was taught to "match" colors with colors in Home Ec. If a blouse was made of a pink print then the skirt had to have pink in it somewhere. And, don't ever put pink next to red or green next to blue! I think that is the reason I have such a hard time with color selections in quilts now. But boy do I love quilts with all colors and patterns in them mixed together.
Thanks, Bear for your thought provoking questions/comments on the board. I always gravitate to your posts for inspiration & help in the psychological aspects of quilting. You keep my mind level.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I also came from the era of only one print per outfit, etc.

Pink and gray or charcoal for the guys (maybe 1958 or so?) was really radical!
Old 06-18-2020, 01:02 PM

When someone asks how to do something I will tell them this is the way I do it. Then I will encourage them to try other options as well. What I prefer may not be the best fit for you. It’s all about what is most comfortable and efficient for you at this time.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Would life be easier/simpler if there really was only one "right" way to do something?
Old 06-18-2020, 01:42 PM

Well, yes life would be easier/simpler but wouldn't that cause us to be less inquisitive & hinder us from spreading our wings. I think it would lend to more boredom in our lives. Now you have to understand that I'm not one who can think much out of the box but every now & then I surprise myself with something that just "came to me" out of the blue that turned out to be really good.