Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choices and/or options >

Choices and/or options

Choices and/or options

Old 06-19-2020, 02:12 AM

Years ago, I used to hear people saying that a machine quilted quilt was not a "real" quilt. Thankfully, we don't hear that anymore!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 AM

I continue to attempt to try something new with my quilting experiences daily. I may not achieve perfection for months to come, if ever. Right now I am working on a new challenge with the Drunkard's Path. My first attempt many years ago was in my opinion a disaster! So I set this idea aside until now. I am getting a better hang of things and trying to be creative as I go. It is always options and choices. Growth is the only option for me. I am not an artsy quilter but I love traditional quilts. I am always trying to do one better than the last. I know there is no such thing as the perfect quilter or quilt but every quilt stands on its own beauty!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:45 AM

I am always trying new things...hence a drawer full of orphan blocks.

Something that a few years ago I turned my nose up at was ironing seams open. Now, I do it all the time. I guess I'm evolving.

Like cjsews, when I demonstrate something, I always preface with, "This is how I do it, but you might find it easier another way..." because everyone is different. I'm all about finding easier ways to do things.

Watson
Old 06-19-2020, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I still usually cut only one layer at a time - because if I mess up - it is only one layer! Even though many people cut several layers at one time.

I am trying to remember if any question asked here has only gotten "one way" to do something. Many times there is "a majority" - but usually there are options. (Some of that may be because we are supposed to be nice/polite/positive here.)

Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM

I think we learn something new every quilt we make and I feel I am still learning different and improved ways to do things. Yes, there are many times when I think I will be able to make something and it really goes askew and I say "I will never do that again".!!
Old 06-19-2020, 03:13 PM

Funny you should ask!

I don't have the thought of only one way. However, I do take time with extra details and happy with the results. At the end of day (quilt) I just try my best. The blocks are square, the quilt is square, the binding and label are on. Yep, it's done...so good enough.

I can finally get myself (quilt) out of a jam. I don't design my own quilt patterns but will change out fabrics for other colors. I am happy with the different trails in my quilt journey and the process along the way. Sometimes, I can even help someone with their quilting dilemma. It's all fun stuff.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:39 PM

God made us all different. He's pretty smart. So I need to honor that wisdom and accept all the difference in others. But I'm bound for perfection in myself-so critical of myself. Maybe I should just accept that God didn't make a mistake when He made me.

So you can all have a different opinion than me. It's all good.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I made my first few quilts using patterns from a book. Then I ventured to taking a few classes. Then joining a quilt group, then a guild. Many many classes, quilt shows, tutorials, new tools, new techniques and methods of quilting later I am now back to doing it the way I began, my way. I want a block to fit and it doesn't, I trim, add on, fuse, tuck, tack, ease and fudge my way to looks like it was made perfect to begin with. I have won enough blue ribbons at local shows and fairs to know I don't need to do what others think is the right way to make a quilt. I have never asked anyone's opinions of my fabric or color choices or lay out. It's not their decision and I never understood others asking would this fabric be okay, or what color sashing should I use or should I add a border.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-19-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Well, I sometimes get opinions on fabric combinations from my sister because she has such a good eye. I keep telling her she would be a fabulous quilter but she just laughs and says "if I can't make it in 5 minutes I'm not interested" hahahaha!
Bear- I think if there was only one way to do something life would be incredibly boring!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
... Thanks, Bear for your thought provoking questions/comments on the board. I always gravitate to your posts for inspiration & help in the psychological aspects of quilting. ...
I agree.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.