View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM
osewfast

Default Negative Space Quilting?

Hey Y'all! I'm working/planning/pondering/designing/thinking about a wedding present for my niece. She was supposed to get married April 4th...but due to Covid, it's been changed to December. So I have plenty of time. She is a Disney/fantasy fan and loves all things whimsical and fun. Sooooo my quilting mind has been at work along those lines. (FYI - She already has a quilt I made her for her graduation - so I don't plan to make her another one at this time.)
My initial thought was to applique some sayings onto placemats. The sayings I was leaning towards using were Disney's - Love is an Open Door, You've Got a Friend in Me, She listened to her heart above all the other voices, and Harry Potter's "Always". But now I'm pondering doing something - negative space quilting. I did a practice piece this afternoon - drew the word and quilted heavily all around it. I'm trying to figure out is it worth the time & effort and excessive thread. (hahaha) Pictures attached...I hope.
Is the word(s) clearly visible?
Do I need to add contrasting thread around the word?
Or Do the quilting in a contrasting thread???

Still pondering... I would welcome feedback and ideas. Keep in mind - this is a practice piece. from presentable as a gift.=)
Another Thought - I might just make one or two into a pillows.

Thanks!
Donna Mc
Attached Thumbnails contrast-thread-qb.jpg   no-lines-2-qb.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-21-2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps