Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM
SherylM

Originally Posted by AriMeij View Post
I read that poly being synthetic can melt with the iron while piecing and I had that issue...

even if cotton thread won’t shrink as much, poly doesn’t shrink at all so I was wondering if you don’t pre-wash (like a jelly roll is best not to do that) the moment you are done will it make it all wonky because the fabric did shrink but the thread didn’t ...
I used to use Aurifil cotton thread, but now I only use polyester thread - either Superior So FIne #50 or Connecting Threads Essential Pro poly. I usually pre-wash yardage, but never pre-wash pre-cuts.

I've never had a problem with thread shrinking or causing problems, with any of those thread/fabric combos. Let me assure you that it really is a non-issue. The only thing I will say is that no matter what brand you use, it's important to use a good quality thread because "bargain" thread can cause more headaches than it's worth.

I've also never had a problem with the poly threads I mentioned melting with a hot iron, even one set on the highest setting. Not saying it could never happen, just that it's never happened to me with those particular threads.

Last edited by SherylM; 07-22-2020 at 09:06 AM.