Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Cotton vs. Polyester thread and shrinkage >

Cotton vs. Polyester thread and shrinkage

Cotton vs. Polyester thread and shrinkage

Old 07-17-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Cotton vs. Polyester thread and shrinkage

Hi

I had a question whether to use cotton or polyester for quilting/piecing. I know there is another thread talking about this but my question is more specific...

I am a beginner and I am going to use a jelly roll for the first time. Now I read that the jelly rolls (specifically from Kauffman) shrink a lot but that is preferable not to pre-wash them because of the potential distortion of the grain and the amount of fraying it can happen. Also because it’s crispier without pre-wash and that makes cutting easier...

anywho, this got me thinking: polyester does not shrink, cotton shrinks. With this in mind, wouldn’t it be best to quilt in this case (without pre-washing fabric) with a cotton thread of weight 40? Then when the shrinkage occurs it would not pucker as much?

Excuses for my long question but this is something I am unable to find a clear answer on... 😅

thank you
Old 07-17-2020, 09:10 AM

I use a 50 wt. polyester most of the time ant have great results.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:41 AM

I have used both cotton and polyester thread and had good results with both. I think as long as you use good quality thread your project will turn out fine. A quilt is only as good as it's thread so use good thread.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Administrator

i don't think cotton thread shrinks as much as cotton fabrics and batting do.
i won't use poly to piece but it's a purely personal preference.
(kinda like some people will never step on a crack or walk under a ladder. lol)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I've used all kinds of threads. I don't use things like Isacord for piecing quilts but have used it for piecing other things. So far nothing has fallen apart or broken.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I use a 50 wt. polyester most of the time ant have great results.
sounds good! I have been using that for everything but have been pre-washing all my fabrics...

do you pre-wash your fabrics and then use polyester? Or you don’t pre-wash and use polyester and you don’t see puckering?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i don't think cotton thread shrinks as much as cotton fabrics and batting do.
i won't use poly to piece but it's a purely personal preference.
(kinda like some people will never step on a crack or walk under a ladder. lol)

I read that poly being synthetic can melt with the iron while piecing and I had that issue...

even if cotton thread won’t shrink as much, poly doesn’t shrink at all so I was wondering if you don’t pre-wash (like a jelly roll is best not to do that) the moment you are done will it make it all wonky because the fabric did shrink but the thread didn’t ...
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by AriMeij View Post
I read that poly being synthetic can melt with the iron while piecing and I had that issue...

even if cotton thread won’t shrink as much, poly doesn’t shrink at all so I was wondering if you don’t pre-wash (like a jelly roll is best not to do that) the moment you are done will it make it all wonky because the fabric did shrink but the thread didn’t ...
I used to use Aurifil cotton thread, but now I only use polyester thread - either Superior So FIne #50 or Connecting Threads Essential Pro poly. I usually pre-wash yardage, but never pre-wash pre-cuts.

I've never had a problem with thread shrinking or causing problems, with any of those thread/fabric combos. Let me assure you that it really is a non-issue. The only thing I will say is that no matter what brand you use, it's important to use a good quality thread because "bargain" thread can cause more headaches than it's worth.

I've also never had a problem with the poly threads I mentioned melting with a hot iron, even one set on the highest setting. Not saying it could never happen, just that it's never happened to me with those particular threads.

Last edited by SherylM; 07-22-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 PM

I have experienced poly threads melting. The iron had been dropped a few times, and I didn't realize that the heat setting had gotten broken so it was full heat all the time (the iron never stopped heating - it got really hot!). Not only did I melt thread, I had serious shrinkage from poly cotton fabric too. The iron got so hot it eventually melted through the cord at the base and shorted out, so I know it was getting way hotter than it was suppose to ever get.

During the malfunction time, it really put a great crease in cotton fabric with very little effort.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Yikes! That's scary!