View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49 PM
sewingpup

don't be afraid to just piece a couple of scrappy nine patches or even just squares together....you will want to just practice simple things like meandering at first to get used to the tension, moving the machine....loading the quilt, advancing the quilt etc. And don't forget cleaning the bobbin area and the rails....I used some ugly fabric from stash for the backings....oh...and these little practice quilts were actually used as dog blankets, or throws, or even just spare quilts to keep in the trunk of the car. Once you get more comfortable with the basic operation of the machine....you can get into the move fancy stuff like pantograms, ruler work, custom quilting....but there is plenty to work on before then. I personally have found I just love doing free motion all over designs as they are quick to do and get my quilts which are utility quilts done and on a bed or couch where they are used. Some people love doing the fancy stuff and making art quilts....but not me. Have fun...don't get too many rulers and other gadgets at first....I have 6-7 rulers....and guess what....the only one I occasionally actually use on a quilt is my little straight edge one for occasional stitch in the ditch.