Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help getting started w/ new long arm! >

Help getting started w/ new long arm!

Help getting started w/ new long arm!

Old 07-25-2020, 01:26 PM

Default Help getting started w/ new long arm!

Hello,
I am hoping I can get some help with supplies I might need to get to start practicing on my new Quinique 15+ With the Grace 10ft frame. This is my first mid/long arm, so it will be completely new to me. What material and thread would be the best to use for practicing, etc. I have a lot of yardage of the Casa brand satin that is sold at Joann’s but not sure this would be okay to practice on...any thoughts? Just don’t want to sink a lot of money into practice materials...does that make sense? Thank You for all your help as usual!
Old 07-25-2020, 01:42 PM

When I started out, I practiced with the supplies I anticipated using on my "real" quilts. My longarm came with several cones of quilting thread, and I used scrap quilting cotton and clearance quilting cotton as my quilts and backings. I didn't use non-quilting fabrics because I wanted to master tension.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:46 PM

I don't know about the satin, if I used I'd probably try shiny side in. If you think you might want to use it for backs, then you should try it however you would actually use it. I'd be afraid of skipped stitches and other things that would be more the fabric than you, I think you would get many different results by changing your thread/needle combination with satin.

For pure practice I recommend sheets from the thrift store. Cotton always best, but low blends almost as good. You can follow the patterns on printed ones, you can draw patterns or use rulers or stencils or whatever other techniques. Cheap, plentiful, pretty much guilt free.

Thread practice should be brands you want or are planning to use. Same with needles. Go ahead and spend the money and use the threads. I try to buy in bulk/on sale.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 PM

Figure out what color quilts you usually make and then buy your quilting thread. I like Glide thread. It's inexpensive and my old long arm likes it. I always buy the large cones and usually get two at a time. That way I don't have to unthread from the long arm if I have to make another bobbin. I have a stand alone bobbin winder. The colors I use most often are white, light beige, wine and black.

The idea about the old sheets is good. If you go ahead and put batting in it, it can be a utility quilt you use for picnics, or anything else you need. There are Cheater quilt tops that look like they are pieced but the pattern is just printed on the fabric. They are great for practice. I have seen them quilted so well that you could not tell they weren't pieced. I have rulers and other shapes and find I don't use them. I haven't built up those skills yet. I use the large corsage flower pins from Wal Mart to anchor my quilt to the leaders and to pin down the side as I am quilting. You cannot roll with them in the sides, they must be removed. Yep...tried it!

Have fun!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49 PM

don't be afraid to just piece a couple of scrappy nine patches or even just squares together....you will want to just practice simple things like meandering at first to get used to the tension, moving the machine....loading the quilt, advancing the quilt etc. And don't forget cleaning the bobbin area and the rails....I used some ugly fabric from stash for the backings....oh...and these little practice quilts were actually used as dog blankets, or throws, or even just spare quilts to keep in the trunk of the car. Once you get more comfortable with the basic operation of the machine....you can get into the move fancy stuff like pantograms, ruler work, custom quilting....but there is plenty to work on before then. I personally have found I just love doing free motion all over designs as they are quick to do and get my quilts which are utility quilts done and on a bed or couch where they are used. Some people love doing the fancy stuff and making art quilts....but not me. Have fun...don't get too many rulers and other gadgets at first....I have 6-7 rulers....and guess what....the only one I occasionally actually use on a quilt is my little straight edge one for occasional stitch in the ditch.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:38 PM

I think there is a facebook group you could join, Quilting with Grace. You could get support there too. Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:44 PM

congrats on your new machine! I would recommend so inexpensive cotton like you would use on quilts instead of satin. As far as thread goes I love Superior's SoFine--its very lint free and fine enough that it doesn't look messy when you backtrack over previous stitching. I buy batting on a roll--much cheaper that way. On tht cheap cotton,go ahead and mark quilt block "patterns" to practice with--or better yet, if you can find some "cheater cloth" that has blocks printed on them (think Marshall's DryGoods has them) it would make good practice.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:04 AM

How exciting...I use sheets from the thrift shop as Iceblossom suggested. My LA doesn’t seem too fussy with thread so I use left over spools that I purchased from taking LA classes at quilt shows in the past. Have fun with your new machine.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:25 AM

Hobby Lobby has cheater cloth at times.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:03 AM

I have the 10' Original Grace Frame and learning on it was not difficult. If you have a stitch regulator that is the biggest help. Next is thread. I use Glide thread and love it. Then there is tension. That may take some practice as I found with mind the tension from side to side may vary. Make sure your frame is level. I have on a number of occasions used an inexpensive fabric and low loft poly batting to do test work. Once the top and the bottom are just what I want then I take that off and put on the quilt I want. I can use that sample quilt again and again until it finishes. It may look wonky but that practice piece can make a useful beach quilt and a carpet cover for toddles so don't toss it out! It can also be easily reloaded on the frame while you are learning another new pattern on your Grace frame and machine. Have loads of fun.