View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Iceblossom

Last time I was in the Redwoods it was pre-husband and my son and I were driving to Disneyland in February Early Spring Break in an El Nino year... 1999-2000 even?? -- we had great weather until we passed into California and it almost immediately began snowing! With twilight approaching and snow gently falling we headed through an almost deserted old growth forest and it was gorgeous. As it was getting darker and the snowfall heavier I realized my headlights were getting dimmer and made it to a town (where I think I will be sleeping on the way back) and found it was just heavy wet snow that had built up on my bumpers. I grew up in Alaska but mostly the snow I know didn't act like that! Talk about relieved to find out it was just snow and not an electrical problem.

My husband did go to visit his sister for a mini-family reunion last year, but this will be the first time for him on the car trip past Portland. So pretty much all of Oregon and Northern California will be new for him. We do plan on stopping at the Olive Pit (olives and pickles are keto friendly!), and I will be spending the night very close to Jordan Fabrics in Grants Pass... but mostly it will just be driving.

We just went to AirBnB.com and specified pet friendly in our options we created an account but I think if you google air bnb pet friendly there is a tab that will fill out that filter for you. You can also specifically look the Unique Stays, in that filter area.

They have put in Covid protections, we feel limited/no contact small owner managed spaces were our best bet for a number of reasons. We do have AAA and did look at standard pet friendly motels as well. As always in real estate and vacations there is location, location, location to consider and that impacts price. If you are willing to stop in a more rural area, it is amazing the offerings and the affordability of some of them. We had some problems finding our night back in Oregon along the coast where we originally planned, but since our route was very flexible we ended up moving inland maybe a 100 miles earlier for a much nicer accommodation within our price range in the Springfield (the real home of the Simpsons)/Eugene area. Go Ducks!