View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 06:33 AM
Iceblossom

Rargle-snargle! Sitting here with my coffee and thoughts and timed out, let's see if I can get the condensed version out in time. It starts out with:

Quilters are some of the nicest people. Sure, we have a few who are quick to share their opinions of whatever it may be... But as proof I made a pretty major mistake in putting together my center. I caught it in time but I left it in just to see what happened. For one, as I say, I've never had to deliberately make a mistake to keep myself humble. I am all sorts of humble!

For two, is that we get so caught up in the small mistakes some times. We know looking at my center that we see a weave of ribbons so that is what we see. My original idea for the swap was too large, but it was bright and bold using hand dyes and black. My first idea for the ribbons was also to use black and make it very architectural and precise and 3D. But then I looked and saw that bag of bits I wanted to do something with, and that something was more humble...

For three, quilters are nice. We will work around that which we can, correct that which we can't. And most of us try for the "if you don't have anything nice to say" part of life. I don't think I've seen a single mention of "was that the weave you wanted?"

And now I see the fantastic additions by Mary and LeeAnn and am thinking -- humble is over-rated! Woohoo, good going ladies I really appreciate what you've done so far.

I think both Rebecca and I were/are concerned with leaving little tiny borders for the next person to deal with. Had I done what I originally thought with a blue background, there would have been dark blue and red triangles in the centers and I could have celebrated what she did better than in my complete turn around. The way she did her workmanship certainly made it easy for me to deal with.

I think what I've found is it is better to go a little over size to get the look you really want and leave whatever issues we have from a narrow border to the next person on the list. And that's because Mary is a nice quilter and will deal with a .5" designed finished edge....