Thread: Bernina 820
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 11:03 AM
ekuw

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Ok, so this is the "modern" 820 Sewing Computer, it has a huge throat space and it is the model that did not go over well:
https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Machin...0-QE#!overview

The vintage ones had a much shorter throat. Those are considered to be pretty sturdy little workhorse machines, but I don't have any knowledge about them.

I have a modern 820 that was given to me by a friend who is a Bernina fan. She bought it from another Bernina fan. Both were not a fan of this machine, but I like it fine. Both of the previous owners have gone on to the 770 to much joy and delight and are still Bernina fans.

I was told it was fussy with threads, and after about a year of use I had to replace a thread sensor. But I just use quilting threads and my friend likes to use fancy threads so that may be a different issue. Some of the 820/830s do seem to be lemons, I don't think mine is. I've grown to love many things about it. We have a couple other people on the boards who also own the modern one, and we have quite a few with the older one.
This is the "modern" sewing computer. My MIL said it was fussy with threads too and said Presencia thread seemed to work the best. She has been sewing her whole life (she's 80) so knows her way around a sewing machine so I am thinking maybe hers was a lemon.

Thank you for the feedback.