View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 02:56 AM
WMUTeach

In the 1950's my grandmother lived in a home reminiscent of a turn of the century farm house. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, and a wood stove for cooking and heating. I was entranced by her way of life and learned skills from her that more modern grandmas would not have known. For instance I know how to clean the chimneys of kerosene lamps. I learned the value education, she was a college graduate in 1907. She saved what could be reused, sewed by kerosene light, baked bread and I watched her sew by treadle machine. When I got to spend the night with her, I slept under a quilt she had made. It was all triangles that I now believe to be dresses, shirts and feed sack fabric. I have one diamond of an unfinished pair of triangles found in her sewing. It is a cherished piece of my family history. One of my cousins recently showed me a quilt that belonged to our grandmother that also included old linen toweling and in very poor condition. She asked me to repair the quilt. After discussion, she saw the value in protecting the quilt but not making attempts to repair it. The quilt was so fragile and weak that repair really is not an option.