View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Sheri.a

A few years ago at our local quilt show school house (education program), a long-armer brought samples of batting that had been quilted and washed. It was very interesting to see the differences - the way they looked or wrinkled, the amount they shrank, etc.

I made a quilt with Hobbs silk batting and it's my favorite because it is a cooler quilt (great for Texas). Silk batting is more expensive, and my daughter said it wasn't warm enough for her, so I don't use it very much. My go to favorite for family is Hobbs Tuscany Wool (wash cool / warm, dry under a ceiling fan) which is wonderful and very light weight. The weight make a big difference in a large quilt when I'm quilting it. If I'm making for charity or someone I think will just throw a quilt in the washer and dryer or a baby quilt, I use both Hobbs 80/20 or Quilter's dream 80/20. If the quilt is mainly white and I don't want seam allowance shadows to show, I make certain I use a bleached or white batting from Hobbs or Quilters Dream.

Happy quilting!