Old 10-28-2020, 09:28 AM
platyhiker

Originally Posted by lizzie3 View Post
You know whats crazy? I went and started to collect the cheap fat quarters I had and I got all panicky and had to put them back, so odd the emotions that overcome us. I will do it again this week and take a picture of them and maybe post it online so I know it goes to a good home, see if that helps me let go
Taking a picture is a good idea when you're having trouble letting go of something. I got another useful idea from Marie Kondo's book, of saying a thank you (out loud!) to an object before getting rid of it. While purging a ton of stuff before moving, I found this very helpful. I chose to not speak "Thank you" out loud most of the time, but I made of point of thinking of in what way the object had made me happy in the past. For fabric, it could be something like:
When I saw you in the fabric store I was really excited to use you in <project type X> and that made me happy. Now, some time later, I'm no longer interested in <project type X> (or my tastes have so changed that I am no longer attracted to your appearance), so it's time to let you go. Thank you for the happiness you brought me.
I found that the element of "honoring" the past positive part of owning the object made it easier to let go of things that the triggered positive memories and associations.