View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 06:19 AM
Iceblossom

Retiredteacher, consider joining us on the Bonnie Hunter mystery! For some people, it's a considerable amount of sewing to do in a short time, to those of us who sew every day anyway, it's pretty reasonable.

I'm still looking at my fabrics and my Tuesday ladies are bringing me greys (which I had no where near 5 yards in my stash, I'm thinking maybe 1-3 yards max in all those thousands). But... today I'm going to pull out a large-ish childrens print and see if I can find enough coordinating fabrics to make a juvenile half sized project. Since she mentions in the instructions there will be opportunities to use string piecing, I'm thinking she will have larger than her ordinary tiny pieces and maybe the juvenile print would work...

I didn't do many mystery type projects earlier in my quilting career, and I rarely follow anyone's patterns nowadays either. But I'm finding mystery quilts to be rather freeing in using my fabric. Hah, can't blame me if it's not perfect, it was a mystery and I didn't know. I say that now because I have plenty of fabric, earlier there was just no way I was going to drop a ton of money on stuff on an outcome I didn't know.

I've liked the Canadian Quilter projects the last couple of years, it was a block a week I think 2 years ago, and then a row by row this year. I printed out the RxR and may indeed do it sometime, but pretty much if I don't do a project when planned or happening I end up not doing it. It starts up in the new year and I'm thinking of doing whatever they have going on this year.

I'm pretty happy with my own scrappy style but in things I'm trying to work on now are things more like samplers and such. One of the reasons I did the Round Robin project is this sort of thing is not my style. But, if I had more practice putting together things that I wouldn't ordinarily do, I think it will help me with what I do... I'd like more confidence in putting together different blocks/types/construction techniques than I currently have.

edit: Just be aware that is can be some pretty intense sewing doing it in real time and happens between Thanksgiving and New Years -- which is very busy in some people's lives but maybe not so much this year.