View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 05:59 AM
Iceblossom

It's nice to have you here, Erica.

I have a host of issues/symptoms with no real diagnosis. Many of my issues are progressive, some have come on more suddenly. In addition, I have progressive vision issues and think at age 60, I only have maybe 5 years of relatively normal vision and the ability to drive. I'm hoping to be able to sew for a bit longer, but I feel my best work is probably behind me and it is getting more difficult.

It's really hard on some of us when we compare what we used to be able to do with what we are able to do now... I have had to learn to go easier on myself, I can no longer just push through and get things done. I've had to learn when to just walk away (and go lay down), even when I want to do whatever it is when I want to do it. It's harder but I also can recognize when I'm just not thinking so clearly, and that I should probably do something else right now.

It takes me all day now to get half the things I used to get done by noon, but I get the important things done and for me that includes sewing time. Taking care of ourselves is very important and that includes eating healthy foods we enjoy, getting enough rest, and getting some amount of movement each day.

Sewing-wise, I do set goals that I feel I can reach, which are usually about 15-30 minutes of chair time then it's up and move around, interact with the pets, do a chore or two, and then return. If things are going well, I'll let them go longer -- up to 2 hours then I need to at least stretch and change tasks. You can get a lot done in 15 minutes, cutting all a particular piece of material, doing enough sewing to need to press, but not much of a start doing machine quilting. I've got to wait for a good day and a couple of hours of ability to spray baste, much less do any quilting. Right now in my life, I'm not getting a lot of quilting/finishing done. That's actually ok, my joy is in the piecing and the planning part of things, so that's what I'm concentrating on.

I used to be very "efficient" in my sewing and could sit in my chair and rotate from cutting/work surface to iron to machine and I was incredibly sedentary, easy to do when you don't leave the house much. I moved the ironing board to the living room, I use the dining room table as my cutting/work surface. My sewing machine/room is in the small bedroom in the middle of the house, and my layout space is the queen bed in the master bedroom. I now get in hundreds of steps per day without noticing them. I also turn on music and dance around for an hour instead going to the gym or a class or an outdoor activity.

I also recommend bubble baths

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-08-2020 at 06:02 AM.