Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
First thread. Fibromyalgia, hands >

First thread. Fibromyalgia, hands

First thread. Fibromyalgia, hands

Old 11-08-2020, 04:02 AM

Default First thread. Fibromyalgia, hands

Nice to meet you all! I used to read threads here and did not plan to join the community, speaking frankly, but, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently which results in pain in my hands, finger numbness. I thought that would not be a problem if someone shared her experience. There's no particular treatment and it affects my skills. I became impatient, inaccurate, I get exhausted 20 minutes after I start. I love quilting with all my heart, but I can see how FM affects my works. Please, if you have the same problem, let me know how you get over it
Old 11-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Just wanted to send you a warm welcome.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:02 AM

I do not have FM but one of my daughters, an artist, does. She finds that the worst of the symptoms seem to cycle about and there are times when she can work with relative easy with her hands and other times she can do nothing but dream. She was diagnosed about 12 years ago and has tried so many medications, but time has been the best solution. When one med did not work or the side effects were worse than the illness, out it went. Be patient with yourself and gently quilt, piece and plan to feed you passion. Flare ups come and go but you are stronger than the diagnosis.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to t he board.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:59 AM

It's nice to have you here, Erica.

I have a host of issues/symptoms with no real diagnosis. Many of my issues are progressive, some have come on more suddenly. In addition, I have progressive vision issues and think at age 60, I only have maybe 5 years of relatively normal vision and the ability to drive. I'm hoping to be able to sew for a bit longer, but I feel my best work is probably behind me and it is getting more difficult.

It's really hard on some of us when we compare what we used to be able to do with what we are able to do now... I have had to learn to go easier on myself, I can no longer just push through and get things done. I've had to learn when to just walk away (and go lay down), even when I want to do whatever it is when I want to do it. It's harder but I also can recognize when I'm just not thinking so clearly, and that I should probably do something else right now.

It takes me all day now to get half the things I used to get done by noon, but I get the important things done and for me that includes sewing time. Taking care of ourselves is very important and that includes eating healthy foods we enjoy, getting enough rest, and getting some amount of movement each day.

Sewing-wise, I do set goals that I feel I can reach, which are usually about 15-30 minutes of chair time then it's up and move around, interact with the pets, do a chore or two, and then return. If things are going well, I'll let them go longer -- up to 2 hours then I need to at least stretch and change tasks. You can get a lot done in 15 minutes, cutting all a particular piece of material, doing enough sewing to need to press, but not much of a start doing machine quilting. I've got to wait for a good day and a couple of hours of ability to spray baste, much less do any quilting. Right now in my life, I'm not getting a lot of quilting/finishing done. That's actually ok, my joy is in the piecing and the planning part of things, so that's what I'm concentrating on.

I used to be very "efficient" in my sewing and could sit in my chair and rotate from cutting/work surface to iron to machine and I was incredibly sedentary, easy to do when you don't leave the house much. I moved the ironing board to the living room, I use the dining room table as my cutting/work surface. My sewing machine/room is in the small bedroom in the middle of the house, and my layout space is the queen bed in the master bedroom. I now get in hundreds of steps per day without noticing them. I also turn on music and dance around for an hour instead going to the gym or a class or an outdoor activity.

I also recommend bubble baths

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-08-2020 at 06:02 AM.