View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 01:59 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Oksewglad, I thought about this after I posted. I'd say the weave of AMB is a solid more like batiks, whereas Kona is more like standard prints. Both are high quality and can be used together but there are differences.

Would you consider that a reasonable assessment? I know from my own time in a fabric shop back in the early 80s, I developed preferences and preconceptions based on some brands. There has always been cheap fabric, but it seems to me that the feel of the greige goods for say Concord was pretty much the same back in the 80s as Hoffman, but what made the real differences were the saturation and sophistication of the dyes.

With more modern fabric, I'm seeing more variation of greige goods than before but then I don't work retail and don't allow myself in shops much any more
The AMB I have worked with seemed slightly looser and coarser than Kona (RKauffman) or Bella (Moda) solids. And yes the greige goods do vary. I feel the newer fabrics tend to ravel more as well. And that varies within the makers too.