View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Rebaquilts

Default Birdie Flying home

Hi all, thanks for the thoughts and prayers. My dad Fred Breitkreuz, passed on Tuesday from COVID. Since my step mom has COVID, and I had recovered, they allowed me into the ICU to be with him, only one visitor allowed. I never thought I would say I am glad I got COVID until now. God’s mercy is apparent even in illness. I was able to pray with my dad at his passing, just as I did for my mom. The key to beating COVID is extreme rest—reduce lung respiration. COVID feeds on lung oxygen so if you practice extreme rest, you have a chance of beating it. This knowledge came too late for my dad as he went walking and climbing stairs and went downhill in only 1/2 hour. When I tried to start doing things like housework and walking, I immediately experienced extreme shortness of breath. Tell everyone you know—give yourself a blank check to watch every rerun you want and take naps :-)

Attached are the pics of Iceblossom’s top, it’s going home finally on Monday. Iceblossom has some basket blocks she will be using for the last border, so I knew no more baskets. I liked Sewbiz’s y-seams, so when I found the rosebud block with y-seams from the 30’s Kansas City Star book, I resized them and used them, as I think they coordinate well with the basket flowers and her prior border. Although I love to use some leftover fabric in my borders to tie in the rest of the quilt, this time I had to make the blocks scrappy as the leftover fabric pieces weren’t big enough for the longer triangle points in the pattern. I tried to match Sewbiz’s in-between triangles, but the leaves of the rosebuds just got lost and it didn’t look good, so I ripped off the border and added the floral blue strip to coordinate with the arrow-blue color in the prior round.

Iceblossom likes World of Warcraft, so I decided to appliqué WOW medieval houses in the corner blocks, a nod to the darker brown in the other rounds, the arrow/pine trees/flying geese reminded me of Bavaria, so I tried to make the architecture “heavy” with stone foundations. I thought about an entire border but I felt it would be too lopsided and bottom heavy.

Thanks so much for your patience, Iceblossom. Hugs all.
Attached Thumbnails bceabaa1-cd42-442a-afdc-420e42a32b8d.jpeg   b66b593a-98ca-4863-a5f6-1a66919c3a98.jpeg   655fb5e8-0ca2-4299-ad06-56dad1db218a.jpeg   4834e030-a980-4c48-bbf2-2dbe5aeed9c8.jpeg