View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

Originally Posted by Roben
I think Loretta is remembering correctly - if I also remember correctly, Brother has an exclusive contract with Disney. For example, I have a Brother PE-700; it takes Brother cards, but it will not take any Disney cards. To embroider Disney designs, the Brother machine has to have the D in the model (so the PE-750D will take the Disney cards.)

If a website (including E-Bay) has Disney designs and they are not on a Brother card, I personally wouldn't touch them - IMHO, they are probably copyright infringing and I certainly don't want to go there. (The same is true for any designs of known cartoon characters like Dora or Nickelodeon - the digitizing companies have to pay for the rights to digitize those designs, and I can't imagine the rights are inexpensive.) Dakota Collectibles does some licensed designs, but be sure to read the rules; some cannot be put on items to be sold.
My brother has the "D" and is definately Disney, but I figured all the machines have cards to buy (made specially for that brand) with the copyrighted characters. Different ones for different machines. I know the cards are very expensive. I bought the PED and have only used it for the designs online like flowers or such. I've never seen any downloadable "frachise" type characters. I've never purchased any of the extra cards bc of the expense, and I haven't had a lot of time to embroider lately.

I'm not going "there", either, with that copyright infringement stuff. It would be nice to be able to make items to sell with the designs on them, though! :roll: I don't see why you couldn't have them items for sale and offer free embroidery with the purchase...but most items need to have the design embroidered, then incorporated into the project. AND on-the-spot embroidery would take a while... :?: