Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Disney embrodery machine

  1. #1
    ccbear66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    913
    Does anyone have the Brother Disney Emroidery machine from Walmart? I am thinking of buying this and wondered if anyone here has it and what they like or don't like about it. I have read a lot of reviews on line and just wanted to see if someone on here has it. Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,719
    I think that is the one Butter cream cake artist has........pm her and she can fill you in :D

    There are a few posts so go to search at top and type in Disney embroidery machine.......and you can find them

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MIchigan
    Posts
    567
    Hi I have it and I love it. It is great for learning on. Walmart has the best price for it.

    Linda

  4. #4
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    I don't know how much the Brother machine is but for around 400$ you can get the singer which can use almost any embroidery format so you can download directly from sites on the net and start sewing. I love mine.

  5. #5
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Is this company the only one who has the Disney designs? So you have to buy that machine to get a Disney design?
    Loretta, I'm sure you can purchase Disney designs for any of the embroidery machines. The SE-270D comes with Disney designs built-in.

  6. #6
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282


    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/602.page

  7. #7
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/354.page

  8. #8
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3468.page

  9. #9
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3583.page

  10. #10
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    I hope some of those links help. I didn't realize just how much I've learned until I scanned through some of those old posts. I didn't even know how to spell stabilizer! LOL!
    I had only used a basic machine, so the SE-270D took some getting used to! I remember trying to read the instructions, and it felt so overwhelming!! It didn't take too long to really figure out. Not like I thought it might! It was easier when I put down the book and just jumped in.

    ccbear66: If you go to WM and buy this machine, don't come home without stabilizer. I've learned that I like the tear-away. THe machine doesn't come with any, and you have to have it to embroider. Mine came with one spool of white embroidery thread, so you will need some colorful machine embroidery thread, although the white on dark color fabric would be good to practice with.

  11. #11
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I thought just that machine company had purchased the rights to sell Disney. Disney designs aren't on the Embroidery Library site and I don't think I have seen them on other embroidery sites either. Maybe I can buy a Disney memory card somewhere?
    There are Disney cards. I think I saw some on eBay a long time ago. Most of the designs I've seen online to purchase aren't name-brand ones. Have you seen copyrighted designs (like Nemo, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, Dodge) on the sites that you can purchase/download from??

  12. #12
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    I hope some of those links help. I didn't realize just how much I've learned until I scanned through some of those old posts. I didn't even know how to spell stabilizer! LOL!
    I had only used a basic machine, so the SE-270D took some getting used to! I remember trying to read the instructions, and it felt so overwhelming!! It didn't take too long to really figure out. Not like I thought it might! It was easier when I put down the book and just jumped in.

    ccbear66: If you go to WM and buy this machine, don't come home without stabilizer. I've learned that I like the tear-away. THe machine doesn't come with any, and you have to have it to embroider. Mine came with one spool of white embroidery thread, so you will need some colorful machine embroidery thread, although the white on dark color fabric would be good to practice with.
    Just a little side note on stabilizer. If you run out and need some in a pinch, you can use coffee filters. I have used them and they work GREAT!!

  13. #13
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    Now Terri, that's a worthwhile hint! lots cheaper than stabilizer, I'm going to try that, thanks.

  14. #14
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    Now Terri, that's a worthwhile hint! lots cheaper than stabilizer, I'm going to try that, thanks.
    Another thing I do is...If I am using the IRON ON stabilizer, I DO NOT iron it down until I am happy with the finished product. I have become a pro at ripping out embroidery designs. I am just a perfectionist when it comes to it, so if I have a design that is crooked, even the slightest and I notice it, I'll rip the entire design out. YES, it can take hours and hours, but I do it.
    Then, once I am happy with the design, I'll iron it. I try NOT to use the iron on stuff, but sometimes that's all I have.
    Also, if you DO use the iron on, make sure it's SHINEY side down. Can you tell I've made that mistake before? Ya live and learn and pass on your learnings.

  15. #15
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    You might try loosening your stitches a little. OR you have your fabric either too tight or not tight enough on the hoop. Just takes practice to get it just right.
    I used to have the same problem...hence being a pro ripping out the designs.

  16. #16
    Senior Member redrummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Vernon, Oh
    Posts
    707
    My sister in law has it and loves it. She sews regular, embroidery, and has a blast. :P :P :P

  17. #17
    Senior Member Roben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW IA
    Posts
    900
    I think Loretta is remembering correctly - if I also remember correctly, Brother has an exclusive contract with Disney. For example, I have a Brother PE-700; it takes Brother cards, but it will not take any Disney cards. To embroider Disney designs, the Brother machine has to have the D in the model (so the PE-750D will take the Disney cards.)

    If a website (including E-Bay) has Disney designs and they are not on a Brother card, I personally wouldn't touch them - IMHO, they are probably copyright infringing and I certainly don't want to go there. (The same is true for any designs of known cartoon characters like Dora or Nickelodeon - the digitizing companies have to pay for the rights to digitize those designs, and I can't imagine the rights are inexpensive.) Dakota Collectibles does some licensed designs, but be sure to read the rules; some cannot be put on items to be sold.

    I know stabilizers can get expensive (and I like to save my $$ for the specialty stuff that I occasionally need) but I don't use things like coffee filters because of the chance that the fibers from the paper will get down into my machines. No matter how much we pay for our machines, it's a lot of money to us! For tearaway, I bought a 50 yard roll of lightweight tearaway from Ziegler's Embroidery Supply on E-Bay (user id: lzig) for $21.98 with shipping over a year ago and I still have some left. It's 11" wide, which works with even my Mega Hoop and has worked wonderfully for me. (No affiliation, just like the stuff and the service :-) )

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    157
    Can you get it at wal mart?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    157
    I read some where that you could use the downy fabric sheets after they go through the dryer too.

  20. #20
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    No I haven't seen them cause I think they are all sold to special places- people who bought the franchizes. Tear away is good, but remember to use cut away if you are embroiderying on knits like t shirts or sweat shirts.
    and on shirts, you'll need the water soluable on top. Right? I tried a shirt once and ended up ruining it.
    On towels, I added some tulle on top so the threads wouldn't sink into the towel.

  21. #21
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Roben
    I think Loretta is remembering correctly - if I also remember correctly, Brother has an exclusive contract with Disney. For example, I have a Brother PE-700; it takes Brother cards, but it will not take any Disney cards. To embroider Disney designs, the Brother machine has to have the D in the model (so the PE-750D will take the Disney cards.)

    If a website (including E-Bay) has Disney designs and they are not on a Brother card, I personally wouldn't touch them - IMHO, they are probably copyright infringing and I certainly don't want to go there. (The same is true for any designs of known cartoon characters like Dora or Nickelodeon - the digitizing companies have to pay for the rights to digitize those designs, and I can't imagine the rights are inexpensive.) Dakota Collectibles does some licensed designs, but be sure to read the rules; some cannot be put on items to be sold.
    My brother has the "D" and is definately Disney, but I figured all the machines have cards to buy (made specially for that brand) with the copyrighted characters. Different ones for different machines. I know the cards are very expensive. I bought the PED and have only used it for the designs online like flowers or such. I've never seen any downloadable "frachise" type characters. I've never purchased any of the extra cards bc of the expense, and I haven't had a lot of time to embroider lately.

    I'm not going "there", either, with that copyright infringement stuff. It would be nice to be able to make items to sell with the designs on them, though! :roll: I don't see why you couldn't have them items for sale and offer free embroidery with the purchase...but most items need to have the design embroidered, then incorporated into the project. AND on-the-spot embroidery would take a while... :?:

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,429
    This is good to know about the Brother Machines. I really love my Elna if only... So as we know a new machine is in my future, just what kind. How does it sew when it's the embroidery and sewing machine?

    I was thinking about the coffee filter thing and I think the roll of stabilizer I bought from ThreadArt was cheaper. Only about $16 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. It's 10"x100 yards and it's nice and solid I'm not sure I could buy coffee filters that cheap. This way I always have some when I need it. And trust me I bought many yards of many brands before I found this stuff. http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.asp?catid=16

  23. #23
    ButtercreamCakeArtist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
    This is good to know about the Brother Machines. I really love my Elna if only... So as we know a new machine is in my future, just what kind. How does it sew when it's the embroidery and sewing machine?
    To make it embroider, you have to attach the embroidery unit to it...it just slides into place...You just release it and pull it off when you are finished and want to sew. Cool, huh?!

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,429
    That does sound nice, but the 270D listed online each site has good ratings with a couple of bad ones thrown in, does that mean Brother has trouble with lemons? I'd shied from Brother because it seemed lots of reviews didn't like the machine long term. I'm glad everyone here likes their machines and got good ones. :D

  25. #25
    Super Member ceannastahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mt. Morris NY
    Posts
    1,150
    just got 100 yards of Iron-on Tearaway Embroidery Stabilizer

    Temporarily stabilize any fabric in seconds. This medium weight stabilizer eliminates shifting and puckering. Perfect for stretchy and lightweight fabrics. Nonwoven 15.99 and its tears off real easy and the shipping was realy cheap to I have priced stablizer all over and this was the best deal I found got it at threadart.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.