Old 12-16-2020, 10:44 AM
amethyst

Default Making my own paper pieced squares for a large quilt

Hi Everyone!
I finally found a picture of a quilt that I think would be perfect for our king sized bed. The more I looked at it, I realized that it’s really just three blocks, and I have the designs in a book on paper piecing that I’m just starting to learn. And there are some wavy lines to be sewn but not intricate free motion quilting. So I think this might be a great project for me.

Here’s the problem. The picture of the quilt is a baby quilt and I want to make a king sized quilt. If I just make more blocks, I think the proportions would be off. I’d prefer to make the blocks larger. I’d like to enlarge the squares from the Carol Doak book I have, but she says not to make a copy of a copy. I’d like to make 9x9 squares.

Are there any secrets to making my own 9x9 square? Can’t I just make my design in paper 9x9 and be sure to cut 1/4 inch seam allowance at the end? It seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I don’t want to make a ton of blocks and then realize I did it all wrong. So I’m hoping some of you that have made your own paper piecing designs can prevent me from making a disastrous mistake before it’s too late.