Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making my own paper pieced squares for a large quilt >

Making my own paper pieced squares for a large quilt

Making my own paper pieced squares for a large quilt

Old 12-16-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Making my own paper pieced squares for a large quilt

Hi Everyone!
I finally found a picture of a quilt that I think would be perfect for our king sized bed. The more I looked at it, I realized that it’s really just three blocks, and I have the designs in a book on paper piecing that I’m just starting to learn. And there are some wavy lines to be sewn but not intricate free motion quilting. So I think this might be a great project for me.

Here’s the problem. The picture of the quilt is a baby quilt and I want to make a king sized quilt. If I just make more blocks, I think the proportions would be off. I’d prefer to make the blocks larger. I’d like to enlarge the squares from the Carol Doak book I have, but she says not to make a copy of a copy. I’d like to make 9x9 squares.

Are there any secrets to making my own 9x9 square? Can’t I just make my design in paper 9x9 and be sure to cut 1/4 inch seam allowance at the end? It seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I don’t want to make a ton of blocks and then realize I did it all wrong. So I’m hoping some of you that have made your own paper piecing designs can prevent me from making a disastrous mistake before it’s too late.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:54 AM

If you want to make 9" x 9"blocks I think it would be better to have it
printed or you could draw them. I bought some newsprint from my local
newspaper provider. I drew my design on one sheet then stapled several
sheets together and used my sewing machine (without thread) to pierce
the paper. It worked very well. You can also get newsprint or exam table
paper from Amazon.

Forgot to say that I would not recommend adding the 1/4 seam allowance afterwards. You need that 1/4" seam allowance while
sewing to anchor your block. It might get messy. You might find that you don't have enough fabric for your seam allowance.
Unless it's a very simple block. I guess it just depends.

Last edited by EasyPeezy; 12-16-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:32 PM

Default DIY paper patterns

First of all, you need to size your paper piecing pattern so that the design occupies a 9 x 9 space on a 9-1/2 by 9-1/2 square. That way, as you piece, the fabric will cover the design plus the seam allowance of 1/4-inch on each side of the block.

Also, if you make a copy of a copy, the resolution goes down, that is, the lines start to get a little fuzzy instead of being nice and crisp. But you can sew and cut in the center of the line and end up just fine. The trick is to get as good a first copy from the book as possible. Make that the "master." Then start making trial copies of that master, increasing the percent enlargement until the enlarged copy measures exactly 9 x 9 for the pattern, with a border 1/4-inch away, making a 9-/12 x 9-1/2 square.

You'll have to be careful to always use the same copy machine with the same percentage enlargement when making your copies of that master onto the paper foundation paper you want to use. Each machine is different. For example, I drew out a pattern very carefully with ruler and pencil on a piece of copy paper. When I made copies of it with my home copy machine, the pattern on the paper was 1/16-inch too small, it did not make a perfect copy, but reduced the copy to about 97% of the original.

Hope this helps.
Sabrina

Old 12-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by motogal View Post
First of all, you need to size your paper piecing pattern so that the design occupies a 9 x 9 space on a 9-1/2 by 9-1/2 square. That way, as you piece, the fabric will cover the design plus the seam allowance of 1/4-inch on each side of the block.

Also, if you make a copy of a copy, the resolution goes down, that is, the lines start to get a little fuzzy instead of being nice and crisp. But you can sew and cut in the center of the line and end up just fine. The trick is to get as good a first copy from the book as possible. Make that the "master." Then start making trial copies of that master, increasing the percent enlargement until the enlarged copy measures exactly 9 x 9 for the pattern, with a border 1/4-inch away, making a 9-/12 x 9-1/2 square.

You'll have to be careful to always use the same copy machine with the same percentage enlargement when making your copies of that master onto the paper foundation paper you want to use. Each machine is different. For example, I drew out a pattern very carefully with ruler and pencil on a piece of copy paper. When I made copies of it with my home copy machine, the pattern on the paper was 1/16-inch too small, it did not make a perfect copy, but reduced the copy to about 97% of the original.

Hope this helps.
Sabrina
Yes, this does help. Thanks!