View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 07:36 AM
mcadwell

Growing up my mother used Coats and Clark thread and I dabbled at sewing because of Home EC class.

Fast forward 4 decades and I decide to try sewing again. Bought a Brother CS6000i and got some Coats and Clark thread. Wow, has that stuff gone downhill - it continuously snapped. I tried a few different brands and found CT thread to be affordable and it worked very well so I started getting the spool sets when they were on sale (and I have a lot).

5 years later I purchased a Juki machine and now I'm having problems with CT thread. It's MUCH lintier on the Juki than on the brother. And the CT thread is great when sewing clothing but breaks a lot when doing even regular quilting - forget about using it for FMQ! I'll get 2-3 stitches and it snaps. And I've played around with the tension multiple times to see if it would help.

I got some Aurifil and found it great for quilting (and corset making) on my Juki, probably the best thread I've ever used period - no FMQ thread snapping (note, I'm not an expert by any means) but it's too much for my budget right now. I'm going to try Superior Threads next for my quilting needs and leave the CT thread for my historical, non-quilted outfits.

Last edited by mcadwell; 12-24-2020 at 07:39 AM.