View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:01 AM
sewingpup

good advice given so far.....make sure you have a good 1/4 inch seam.....I generally check that I have that when I press my seams and I usually press to one side....sometimes it is easy to get a 1/4 inch on the fabric piece that is on top...but the bottom fabric moves a bit and maybe only a bit of it gets caught in the seam....so check that bottom side too for seam width. A shorter stitch length also helps....I general move mine down from the default of 2.5 to 1.8 or 2.0 depending on how small my pieces of fabric all. A shorter stitch helps keep the seams closed but is harder to rip out to fix errors....not that I make many...just kidding...my seam ripper and I know each other well. I usually stay stich about 1/8 of an inch around the whole quilt top when done as it helps keep seams from becoming undone while handling the top preparing to sandwich and quilt it. I sometimes also do that around blocks if there are many pieces in the block and I will be putting them out to arrange the blocks..again, more handling of those fragile seams. also, I chain piece when piecing but try and do a couple of stitches between feeding the pieces in...that way I can cut in the middle of those stiches leaving a little bit extra thread at the edge of the block and it seems to help the seams from coming apart while handling. And when I quilt the quilt at the end, I change how I do that.....if I have a lot of little pieces in the quilt, I sometimes will do a denser quilting so as to help mail those seams down and make the quilt a bit more supported. I have had seams come apart after quilting and it is a bummer....but can be fixed either by hand stiching the seam back together or even putting a patch or a cute applique over it.